September and a new term begins. Time to reassess and refresh your personal brand! The world sees your personal brand in all you do; it can work for you or against you.
Sometime ago I posted a Checklist for your Personal Brand on Wisewolf Talking. Here is an updated version.
1. Do you have credibility? Are you an expert in your subject? Do people believe you know what you are talking about? Do the words you use reflect the latest thinking on your subject? Do you write articles and blog posts on your specialist interest? Does your resume reflect the real depth of your experience – is it up to date?
2. Do you have an introductory piece – an ‘elevator speech? Can you deliver a succinct description of what you do, how you do it differently, plus the benefit it delivers, within the time that it takes an elevator to travel one floor?
3. Are you a convincing communicator? Do people believe what you say and act on your advice? Why not do a market survey – choose three people you trust and ask them what they think! If not, then read a book or take a class.
4. Do you dress for the job? Do you know what the dress code is for your sector? Do you follow it? But what about off duty – if you met you boss in the supermarket, what impression would they get? Think about what is appropriate to the situation - balance your individual style with clothing that will appeal to those you are trying to impress.
5. Do you know the etiquette for your organization and your sector? How do people behave? What kind of business cards do people carry? Be the one who follows up and says thank you after sector and professional events.
6. Do you know the people you need to impress? Take time out to build your address book. Collect business cards – make sure your card reflects your image properly! Ask contacts for further introductions. Use LinkedIn, Twitterand Facebook to find new people.
7. Do you nurture your network? Do you work at nurturing your relationship with your contacts? Do you show an active interest in them and genuinely care about them? Ask how they are and what they are doing and mean it. Remember things they tell you – note them down if you need to! People appreciate real attention but they know when you are being insincere.
8. What do you do with your spare time? If you give something back to the community with voluntary work or help your local sports club – the news does get around!
Your personal brand is precious – it’s the “you” that the world sees and judges you by. Nurture your brand and you will nurture your life and your career.
- Distill your pitch into short, compelling elevator speech(usatoday.com)
- Unique Business Cards That function Like Internet Search Engine…Or So It Seems (prweb.com)
- A Business Card (And Life) Lesson: Don’t Self Deprecate(levynewsnetwork.wordpress.com)